Cheap Flights for Students: Where to Find Discount Flights
If you're a college student on a budget, then you know that finding cheap flights can be difficult. But don't worry, after reading this article, you'll have the insider knowledge on how to find the best student flight deals (that don’t require you to
For starters, have you heard of StudentUniverse? They’re the best place to start looking for some great deals on airfare as a student. They offer student-only discounts on every flight they sell, making it perfect for budget conscious students.
Outside of that, though, just keep reading. We’ll walk you through everything you need to know, including which airlines offer student discounts, tips on how to find the best cheap flights for students, and discount flight hacks.
Get to Know Airlines with Student Discounts
Which airlines offer student discounts? American Airlines, United Airlines, Delta Airlines, and Lufthansa are among some of the top airlines offering great student travel discounts.
Here’s what to know about a few of the most popular airlines for students.
American Airlines are always looking for ways they can get students to fly with them, and one way is through their AAdvantage frequent flyer program. If you travel often on American flights as a student, then this discount might be perfect for your needs. You will, however, need to ensure you’re providing them with your school information when booking tickets.
United is one of the best airlines for students traveling in large groups (spring break, anybody?) as they offer great group discount rates. Their special "GroupsPlus Program" provides discounts for groups of 10 or more travelers booking flights in advance, with the biggest savings offered to students who book at least 11 months ahead.
However, if you’re between the ages of 18 and 22, you can receive up to a 5% discount on your entire flight. Click here for more details on that deal.
A student discount traveler can get cheaper airfares by traveling with Lufthansa. The offers of this carrier are more than what other sites offer, and students have an opportunity to travel anywhere in the world at their leisure for less money, particularly if they are between the ages of 12-25 years old (so, yes, even younger students count here!).
Tips for Finding Student Travel Discounts
Now, regardless of which airline you choose to fly with, there are a few tips and tricks you’ll want to consider if you’re looking to snag student travel discounts before they’re all booked up. Consider the following when looking for cheap flights for students:
- Visit discount student travel websites first. We’ve already mentioned StudentUniverse, but STA Travel is another great option as well.
- Browse through regular discount travel websites such as Expedia and Cheapoair. These websites offer great discounts on top travel routes (including hotels and car rentals) that you don’t need to be a student to qualify for.
- Set up flight alerts. Apps like Hopper can help you track the prices of a flight you’re looking to purchase. So, if you know you’ll be studying abroad in Taiwan next year and need to travel from Denver to Taipei, just download the free Hopper app, plug in the cities and dates and let Hopper tell you when is a good time to buy.
- Use the flexible search feature. Unless you have to be at your destination by a specific date, it helps to use the flexible search feature when looking for student travel discounts. Often, you can find a cheaper flight if you fly out a day or two later or fly into a neighboring airport.
- Sign up for airline rewards! If you’re an international student or know that you’ll be traveling frequently while at university, it might be worth signing up for your favorite airline’s reward program.
How to Find Discount Flights
Have you ever wondered how people find cheap flights and how they know when the best time to book is? Well, here are two top secrets we can let you in on that are particularly helpful for students.
1) Keep your eye out for special deals that are usually only available on specific days of the week or certain months of the year. Airlines try to take advantage of people who are eager to fly during peak season by offering them low prices just before they go on sale. You might be able to save some money if you can plan around those dates and times.
2) Make sure you have an updated list of airlines from which to choose from so that you know what each airline has been charging lately. If one company seems excessively expensive, compare it with another one in order to get a better idea of what price range is reasonable for any flight or general route you’re looking to take.
Sites like Google Flights and Hopper are helpful in letting you know the average cost of a flight during your specified dates. Looking at those prices will help you know whether or not prices actually are high during those dates or if the airline you’re looking to fly with is just expensive at the moment.
Earn Cash Back on Your Flights
It’s a lot easier to shell out cash for a flight as a student if you know you’ll be getting some cash back just for spending. When you spend with a Cheese Debit Card, you can actually do just that. Regardless of whether or not you find cheap flights for students, paying with your Cheese Debit Card is a great way to save more on your spending.
And, lucky for you, this debit card is designed with students (both domestic and international) in mind. Whether you’re purchasing textbooks, eating out with friends, or need to buy clothes for the new semester, the Cheese Debit Card is designed for you. And, forget about a SSN. We’ll only ask you for your passport and valid US visa to set you up.
It comes with no fees, one free international wire transfer per year, and up to 10% cash back at your favorite stores. Go ahead and get your fee-free Cheese Debit Card today. You deserve it.