PNC Bank | Banking Fees
According to some studies, people lose nearly $170 a year just in monthly bank fees. Others report that over the course of a decade you can lose out on at least a $1,000 in hidden fees and maintenance costs simply for having an open account with a bank.
At Earn Cheese, we’re dedicated to ensuring that our users pay $0 in monthly fees while enjoying other zero-fee perks such as no overdraft fees, no international wire fees, and no minimum balance fee. Larger international banks such as PNC Bank aren’t usually able to offer the same level of fee-free assistance.
So, how much do you pay to open a bank account with PNC Bank? What are the fees associated with a PNC Bank debit card? And, what are your options with various different types of PNC debit cards? We’ve got the answers for you.
How Much Are PNC Bank Debit Card Banking Fees?
How Much Does it Cost to Open a Bank Account at PNC Bank?
Some large, international banks require that you meet a minimum opening deposit requirement in order to open an account with them. Depending on the account you’re trying to open, you’ll find different fees for PNC banking products. PNC requires a $25 minimum opening deposit for their various different checking accounts, with different ones having different monthly service fees, ranging from $7 to $25. However, you might be eligible to waive the monthly PNC Bank banking fee depending on the account that you have.
What Are the Different Kinds of PNC Bank Checking Accounts?
To have a PNC debit card, you’ll have to open a checking account. And, PNC Bank offers various different kinds of checking accounts.
Each PNC Bank checking account comes with unique monthly fees and other charges that can make them more expensive than the others. The five PNC Bank checking account options are:
- Standard Checking
- Foundation Checking
- Interest Checking
- Performance Checking
- Performance Select Checking
What’s the same across the board? Each checking account comes with a debit chip card, PNC Purchase Payback, and a $25 minimum deposit needed to open the account.
PNC Bank Standard Checking Account
The monthly service fee for a PNC Bank Standard Checking account is only $7, which makes it one of the two cheapest bank accounts to open at PNC Bank. However, you can waive that monthly maintenance fee by:
- Maintaining a $500 average monthly balance
- Having $500 in qualifying direct deposits each statement period
- Linking the account as a benefit account to your Performance Select checking or Virtual Waller
- Being over the age of 62
PNC Bank Foundation Checking Account
The monthly service fee for a PNC Bank Foundation Checking account is only $7, which makes it one of the two cheapest bank accounts to open at PNC Bank. However, unlike the Standard Checking account, there are no options for waiving the fees associated with this account, unfortunately.
PNC Bank Interest Checking Account
The monthly service fee for a PNC Bank Interest Checking account is $13, which is slightly higher than the previous two bank account options. But, if you maintain a $2,000 average monthly balance you’ll be eligible to waive the fee.
It’s important to note that, as the name suggests, this account earns interest on the money you hold in it. However, it only earns interest when you link this account as a benefit account to your Performance Select checking or Virtual Wallet with Performance Select.
PNC Bank Performance Checking Account
The monthly service fee fo a PNC Bank Performance Checking account is $15, but you can waive the fee if you:
- Have a $2,000 average monthly balance
- Have $10,000 in combined average monthly balances across all of your PNC Bank accounts
- Make $2,000 in qualifying monthly direct deposits each statement period
Similar to the Interest Checking account, you can earn interest with this checking account as well. Rates vary.
PNC Bank Performance Select Checking Account
The monthly service fee fo a PNC Bank Performance Select Checking account is $25, but you can waive the fee if you:
- Have a $5,000 average monthly balance in the account and up to 8 additional PNC Bank consumer checking accounts you have linked to this account
- Maintain a $25,000 combined average monthly balance across PNC Bank consumer deposit and/or PNCI investment accounts
- MAke $5,000 in qualifying monthly direct deposits during each statement period
What About PNC Virtual Wallet?
PNC Virtual Wallet is a service that the bank offers for managing the money you hold in savings, checking, and some other types of accounts at PNC Bank. As of right now, there are currently four options:
- Virtual Wallet with Performance Select
- Virtual Wallet with Performance Spend
- Virtual Wallet
- Virtual Wallet Student
According to PNC Bank, the first option is best for those looking for innovative online tools plus premium account features. Virtual Wallet with Performance Spend is best for those who want innovative online tools plus rewards for a broader banking relationship.
Each account comes with various tools you’ll want to research, but the Virtual Wallet with Performance Select is linked to a PNC Bank Performance Select Checking account. Check out PNC Bank’s comparison of all four virtual options.
What Are the Other PNC Bank Monthly Banking Fees?
Like other major banks in the country, there are certain fees associated with a PNC Bank account. You can expect to incur PNC Bank monthly maintenance fees, $36 per item PNC Bank overdraft fees, fees on your PNC Bank checking account, plus wire transfer fees and 3% foreign transaction fees.
Across every checking account except a PNC Bank Performance Select Checking account, expect an out-of-network ATM withdrawal fee of $3.00 in the United States and $5.00 when using an international ATM.
And, the PNC Bank wire transfer fees are as follows:
- Incoming domestic wire transfer fees are $15 per transaction
- Incoming foreign wire transfers are $15 per transaction
- Outgoing domestic wire transfer fees are $30 per transaction
- Outgoing foreign wire transfer fees are $45 per transaction
The other fee you’ll really incur from opening a PNC checking or savings account would be a lost card fee. To replace a PNC Bank debit card, you’ll have to pay $7.50 (it’s free if you have a Performance Select Checking account).
Want to learn how to avoid PNC Bank’s monthly banking fees?
- Maintain the right minimum balance
- Set up qualifying direct deposits
- Link your accounts when available
- Don’t overspend to avoid insufficient funds and overdraft fees
- Utilize Virtual Wallet to help you stay on top of your finances
Here's more info about banking fees: