Around the world, Netflix is one of the largest and most well-known video streaming services. It’s estimated that, globally, the platform has over 151 million subscribers. And, that’s not including the numerous accounts within accounts (we’re looking at you, the best friend who’s still leeching off of your roommate’s account).
But, we totally get why so many people share accounts. Streaming platforms and subscription services can get pretty costly. Whether you’ve signed up for subscription boxes, Hulu, HBO Now or the ever-famous Netflix, the costs add up over the course of a year.
Just how much does a Netflix subscription cost and how can you cancel Netflix subscription when it just doesn’t fit into your budget anymore? We’ve got a step-by-step guide to help you out.
How Much Does a Netflix Subscription Cost Per Month?
Sign up to My Subscription Addiction or any other subscription platform and you’ll quickly realize just how tempting most subscription services are. For just a few dollars a month you can gain access to everything from food to beauty products and of course a near endless list of movies and TV shows.
But, even though most subscription services are a few dollars a month, it adds up over time. It’s why so many people want to know how to cancel an app subscription or turn to YouTube instead of Netflix after just a few months. So, how much does a Netflix subscription cost per month?
In the United States, the cheapest Netflix subscription in 2020 starts out at $8.99 per month. Their plans are broken down into three tiers: Basic, Standard, and Premium. And, they cost $8.99, $12.99 and $15.99 per month respectively. The Basic Netflix plan allows you to stream from just one device at a time while the Standard will let you stream on two devices. Neither plan includes DVD delivery.
So, at $8.99 per month, you can expect to pay about $108 a year for your Netflix subscription if you opt for the most basic plan. The Standard plan, which is the most popular, will cost you just over $155 per year.
Pros & Cons of Netflix Subscription
Obviously, after crunching some numbers, you might think, “Well, what’s the point of having a Netflix subscription, then?” You might as well just watch videos on Vimeo and Dailymotion for free, right? Sure. But, there are pros and cons to having a Netflix subscription.
The pros of a Netflix Subscription include:
- No commercials! With Netflix, you can watch any movie or TV show with absolutely no ads or commercials. This is something that you won’t get with standard cable or even YouTube (unless you’re paying for premium).
- The ability to download content. If you travel frequently or find yourself watching content on the go, Netflix makes sense for you. The platform allows you to download videos to your device to watch without having to access WiFi or use data.
- Access to Netflix original content. Back in 2013, Netflix was the first streaming platform to create original content when they released House of Cards. Since then, they’ve developed other top shows such as Stranger Things, BoJack Horseman, Orange is the New Black and numerous films. Without a subscription, you can’t (legally) watch Netflix original content.
And, the cons of a Netflix subscription include:
- A varying selection of content. Depending on where you live, you’ll find that the kind of content you can watch on Netflix varies. In the United States, Netflix offers viewers a pretty diverse library. However, in Asian and South American countries, the library isn’t as great. Sure, you can use Express VPN to access American content, but it doesn’t always work.
- It’s one of the most expensive platforms. When you compare Netflix to Redbox, Amazon Prime Video, Disney+ and even Apple TV+, it’s one of the most expensive streaming platforms. Amazon Prime is $8.99 a month as well, but you can stream it on way more devices.
- Outdated library. Numerous Netflix subscribers have complained about the fact that Netflix has a pretty outdated library. They don’t update the content that often. And, when you compare it to the kind of fresh, new content that platforms like HBO Now and Hulu put out, it pales in comparison.
How to Cancel Your Netflix Subscription?
Not sure a Netflix subscription is worth it? Learn how to easily cancel subscriptions online or on your iPhone.
To cancel your Netflix subscription from your computer, you can follow these steps:
- Sign in to Netflix on your web browser.
- Hover over your profile icon and click the down arrow next to it.
- Select Account. Go to Membership & Billin and click the grey Cancel Membership button.
- Click Finish Cancelation.
It’s that easy! Now, if you have Netflix on your phone and want to cancel subscriptions on an iPhone, the steps are a little different as you’ll actually have to cancel iTunes subscriptions through your iTunes account.
The steps look something like this:
- Open your Phone and go to Settings.
- Tap your name.
- Tap iTunes & App Store.
- Tap your Apple ID, then tap View Apple ID. If it asks you to sign in, do so.
- Tap Subscriptions.
- Select Netflix.
- Select Cancel Subscription from the bottom of the page.
- Select Confirm.
And, there you have it. You’ve now unsubscribed from Netflix and will be able to continue using your account until the end of your billing cycle.
Consider Streaming Alternatives
Subscription fees can be bothersome, but you do have other options than just Netflix. We’ve compared some of the costs of other major online streaming services for you.
Found a streaming service you like? Don’t forget to sign up using a debit card that’s optimized to earn you cashback. You know, so you can basically earn enough extra cheese to offset the costs of your subscription service.
Our Cheese debit card comes with $0 in monthly fees and lots of opportunities to earn extra cash on your savings: cashback and saving bonus. Put that cheese back into your streaming or subscription addiction. You’ve earned it! Sign up today to get started.